Monday, March 28, 2011

Orange Barrels

I don't know about where you live, but in Michigan on sure sign of Spring is the appearance of the dreaded Orange Barrels!  This is the season for repairing all those potholes, resurfacing the roads that are more holes than road, fixing bridges, generally repairing all the damage casued by the harsh winter conditions.

As I drove to work this morning it occurred to me that sometimes I too need to do repair work.  As I go through the adventure that is life, I sometimes have to endure less than optimal conditions.  Sometimes even harsh conditions.  As a result, my spirit becomes broken, my self-confidence crumbles, my normally optimistic outlook becomes less than optimistic.  It's time to put out the barrels to help me keep track of where the work needs to be done and get busy.  I also need to remember that, unlike road repair areas, others can't see the orange barrels I've set out so I need to try to be patient with them if they seem to be interfering with the repair schedule. 

It also occurred to me that if I have orange barrels in my life, then it's possible others do too.  That being the case, I need to give them a little more understanding during their repair time too. 

If you have repairs to make after a long harsh winter, don't feel alone.  I suspect there are many of us who need to get out the orange barrels from time to time.  Good luck with your repairs, whatever they are!

2 comments: